Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

Real short tease from SOUTH OF JORDAN:

Gian hands me what I assume is the girly gun. It takes all my concentration to keep my hands from shaking, and I hold the handgun as if it’s made of glass rather than steel. It’s heavier than I’d been expecting, and that worries me.

“It’s not loaded, is it?” I ask warily. This brings on another burst of laughter from the guys. I decide that’s probably a no, but I make sure to keep the barrel pointed away from any bodies as I hand it back to Tim. He returns the gun to its case, snaps the case shut, and slides it across the counter to me.

We walk through another set of double doors and down the hallway that leads to the indoor shooting range. The pop, pop, pop of firing guns grows louder and the smells of exhaust and sulfur grow thicker. My mind tries to go back to that night, a single gun shot ringing out, a slumped body in the snow. I reach for Kane’s hand. Gian looks over his shoulder at us, about to say something, but his eyes fall down to my outstretched hand just as Kane takes it.

A look of consternation crosses Gian’s face. “You okay?” he mouths to me. I nod.

0 comments:

Post a Comment