Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Writers need friends, too



First, I should probably apologize upfront for the mushiness of this post. Let's just assume that any post that begins with kittens is going to be full of the mush, 'kay?

There's this notion going around that all good writers have a little Hunter S. Thompson in them, meaning a love of drugs, alcohol, the occasional foray with a firearm, a tragic ending. More simply, a lack of stability and some borderline insanity. I think before the days of social networking, this held more true. Writers were left alone with their work and crushing self-doubt. Of course that's going to manifest itself in some unhealthy ways for some (most?). Today, though, writers can form relationships via online messaging boards and social networking sites, and we should never take those relationships for granted. They keep away the crazy.

To sidetrack just a bit, my husband is probably my most important weapon in my writer's arsenal. He has taken on the role of motivator, cheerleader, food getter, and hand holder. When I'm saying, "I'm not sure this is going to work out for me," he is answering with, "Yes it will. Just keep going." He hit "send" on the very first query letter I ever sent because I was having trouble taking that step. He is the person to whom I dream of dedicating a book. Having said all that, he's not a writer. He's not even really a reader. So while he understands the determination and resilience I need to realize this dream, he does not understand all the mechanics of accomplishing it.

Other writers do.

Forums like Absolute Write give us the opportunity to share all the trials and triumphs of publishing, to find critique partners, to ask and answer questions, and to just generally form bonds with other writers. Not everyone can afford to attend writers' conferences, so this is huge. I don't take advantage of it as much as I should, but I'm trying. Twitter is another avenue for finding a support system, and I regret I took so long to finally start interacting with other writers on it.

My favorite part about working in a newsroom was the camaraderie among the reporters. We could kick around ideas, read through each other's stories, joke and laugh, and offer a sympathetic ear on a bad day. Thanks to the fabulous Internet, all writers can have that support system now. Have I mentioned it's important? It's important. When I'm struggling to write a scene, I can tweet and immediately talk with other writers who are doing the exact same thing. It may not help me work through the scene, but it gets me outside my own mind for awhile and gives me the break I need so I can keep going.

(By the way, I also joined a message board for moms when I was pregnant, and those ladies have been just as great as the writing community--if you're knocked up, I recommend doing that, as well.)

So what do you think other writers? Who is your support system and how important are they to your career?

0 comments:

Post a Comment